Saturday, April 14, 2007

DASHING DOTS!

In case you hadn't realized it, my blog design is a template. Yes, I know. You would never have guessed it. In a flurry of ambition, I was going to change the template, then modify the new one, but these things aren't yet my forte. Instead, I have found ways to justify the status quo--something I do much better at the moment. Here goes...

First and foremost, The Philadelphia Inquirer tells us that polka dots are "in" for spring. This young woman appeared in the paper's Image section on April 15th, and she's wearing my blog template--colors and all!

Polka dots have deep historical roots. Wikipedia tells us that "polka dots are ancient. They first became common on clothing in the late nineteenth century in Britain. At that time, polka music was extremely popular and the name was also applied to the pattern, despite no real connection between them. Some believed that during the 1st World War, the British used polka dots as a place to hide morse code and other secrets without being noticed." Aha! Polka dots have obviously had pragmatic and lofty uses.

Artists and athletes of note have embraced the use of polka dots in their work. Yayoi Kusama is an example of one such artist. Then there's Dusty Rhodes.

Anyone who saw the televised celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the White House during the Clinton administration will never forget the dress Barbara Bush wore, ever--thus showing us how very memorable polka dots can be.

Speaking of memory, polka dots can be pleasantly nostaglic. Remember the comic strip Little Dot? While not my favorite, I never quite forgot Dot Polka. Last, but not least, let us not forget that classic Yellow Polka Dot Bikini song from 1960.

With all this going for them, the polka dots must remain on this blog, especially because they're in! I may modify, but I cannot say goodbye--yet. Let's just hope that summer doesn't bring us paisley prints!

2 comments:

Poets Online said...

ah yes, the whims of fashion as an excuse to not modify CSS ;- )

Sandra Lavini said...

And you can't imagine how much fun I had with this piece! However, I did modify the original template just last week with the help of a friend. Html was necessary to perform the modification, and I know none of it. We added a green sidebar as a modification to the original template so that I could preserve the dots! I just did a little post about it, but you beat me to the punch.